Sunday, August 7, 2016

Teaching Revelations part 1

Teaching in South Africa has given me the opportunity to reflect upon my teaching in an entirely new way. The first is through the eyes of an English Language learner. While here, there have been many occasions when the teacher I have been working with has spoken to me or explained something in English. However, because of the heavy accent I did not understand what she was saying. Sometimes I would ask for clarification and other times I would simply act as if I understood what she said. It made me pause and wonder, "How many times has one of my ELL students pretended they understood what I was saying? How often did I take their word that they understood and then move on leaving them lost and confused?"  

I have attended several staff meetings that were completely in isiXhosa. I felt excluded and self-conscious. I know it was not the intent of the Emafini staff to make me feel that way. They had an agenda to get through and needed to return to their students. Therefore, they did not have time to stop and translate. I am sure in my diligence to make sure I get through a lesson, there were times I did not stop to make sure the ELL students were keeping up. Like the teachers at Emafiniit was not my intent to exclude them. However, whether it was my intent or not the result was the same; students who were excluded and left behind.  
It is my desire to carry this insight back to my classroom and use it to better meet the needs of my English Language Learners.  

Quote: Empathy is seeing with the eyes of another, listening with the ears of another, and feeling with the heart of another.― Alfred Adler


No comments:

Post a Comment